BevCon, the annual beverage industry-only conference taking place at the LINE Hotel in Koreatown, Los Angeles on August 19-21, 2018, announced the line-up for special parties and events during the event. Highlights include:
Welcome to LA: Homage to Charleston
The Unique Space, 1275 E. 6th Street
As we kick-off BevCon 2018, attendees are welcomed to Los Angeles with a special tribute to where it all began—Charleston. Two of LA’s most talented chefs, who at one time worked in Charleston, will prepare special bites for everyone to enjoy. There will be wine, beer, and cocktails, including the 2018 Official Cocktail Competition Winner featuring The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley.
- Fonseca – the Siroco Extra Dry White Port
- Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.
- Lieu Dit Winery
- Sandhi Wines
- Ari Kolender, Hayden
- Zach Swemle and Marlee Blodgett, La Morra Pizzeria
- Sarah Simmons and Aaron Hoskins, CITY GRIT Hospitality
- Eric Railsback, Lieu Dit Winery
- Sarah O’Kelly, Edmund’s Oast Exchange and Edmund’s Oast
- National Winner of Cocktail Competition
Bar Pop-Ups: Downtown, Hollywood, and Koreatown
Each night, BevCon attendees can bounce around to some of LA’s hottest bars. At each location, there will be a guest bartender who along with the host bar will collaborate on a special drink menu for the night. The Pop-Ups vary in time and are open to the public.
Sunday, August 19: Downtown
- Time TBA: Broken Shaker: Host Bar Manager: Christine Wiseman and Guest Bartender: Nick Detrich, Manolito Nola, New Orleans, LA; Featured Brand: Drink Nomikai
- 9:00 p.m. – until: Golden Gopher: Host Bar Manager: Francois Houlard and Guest Bartender: Gary Crunklton, The Crunkleton, Chapel Hill, NC Ø 8:00 p.m.: Bar Clacson: Host Bar Manager: Dustin Newsome and Guest Bartender: Paul Taylor, The Drink Co. and Danny Ronen, Washington, D.C.; Featured Brand: Genever
Monday, August 20: Hollywood
- 9:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m.: Harvard & Stone: Host Bar Manager: Aaron Polsky and Guest Bartender: Sother Teague, Amor y Amargo, New York, NY; Featured Brand: Maker’s Mark
- Time TBA: The Spare Room: Host Bar Manager: Yael Vengroff and Guest Bartender: Lynette Marrero, New York, NY; Featured Brand: Copper & Kings Distilling
- 6:00-10:00 p.m.: Tabula Rasa: Host Bar Manager: Zach Negin and Guest Winemakers: Will Costello, Bien Nacido and Solomon Hills Estate Wines and Bobby Stuckey, MS, Scarpetta Wine Company
Tuesday, August 21: KoreaTown
- 6:00-10:00 p.m.: Normandie Club: Host Bar Manager: Dave Fernie and Guest Bartender: TBA; Featured Brand: William Grant & Sons
- 6:00-9:00 p.m.: Mama Lion: Host Bar Manager: Robert Kim and Guest Bartender: Tiffanie Barriere; Featured Brand: Himbrimi Gin. Live Music: Vocal Jam at 9:00 p.m.
Meet-the-Makers: Wine and Beer (Monday, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.) and Spirits (Tuesday, 3:30-5:00 p.m.)
The LINE Hotel
Featuring 25+ wine and beer or spirit suppliers, BevCon’s Meet-the Makers tasting offers attendees the opportunity to sample premium bottlings from some of the industries most respected and innovative producers. Makers and leading professionals alike will be present to engage with attendees and share their knowledge behind each sip.
Closing Party: Let’s Get Lit
7:00-9:00 p.m. No Vacancy
The inaugural Let’s Get Lit at BevCon Charleston last year proved to be one of the must buzzed-about events and the LA iteration promises to be just as memorable. Attendees will imbibe on drinks prepared by top bartenders while some of the country’s most esteemed beverage writers read and share excerpts from their most recent or upcoming works. The lively and always entertaining Gary Crunkleton will serve as MC to introduce this spirited lineup of writers and keep the evening on course (as best one can among a boozy group of writers). We make no promises!
- Brad Thomas Parsons
- Kara Newman
- Paul Clarke
- Robert Simonson
- Talia Baiocchi
- Kellie Thorn, Empire State South, Atlanta
- Greg Best, Ticonderoga Club, Atlanta
- LA Winner of Cocktail Competition
- John Tesar, Knife, Dallas
- Craft Brewers Assn.
- The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley
- Common Cider Co.
- Uncle Nearest
- Skurnik Wines Wes
Passes are $400 a person and include access to two and a half days of Learning Sessions, breakfast and lunch on Monday and Tuesday, admission to the Opening Night Party and Closing Happy Hour—Let’s Get Lit, admission to the Meet-the-Maker Tastings, and souvenir bag and coffee mug. NEW this year, Day Passes for Monday and Tuesday for $200 per day